PhD STUDIES IN: (i.) INDUSTRIAL HEMP (C. sativa L.) x1 (ii.) IRISH POTATO (S. tuberosum) x1
Kutsaga Research is a centre of research excellence in crops. We are currently seeking
two highly motivated and research-oriented individuals to join our team as Ph.D.
candidates specialising in Industrial Hemp (Cannabis Sativa L.) and Irish Potato (Solanum
tuberosum) research. Kutsaga Research is renowned for its state-of-the-art research
equipment, laboratories, and a team of highly qualified and experienced researchers. As
part of our commitment to national development, we actively contribute to the national
development strategy (NDS 1) by focusing on training and capacity development
initiatives. We partner with local universities to provide training and mentorship to young
scientists and concentrate on national research priorities.
PH.D. RESEARCH AREAS:
- Introduction of exotic industrial hemp germplasm for commercial production in
Zimbabwe – The selected student will be registered with the University of Zimbabwe.
- Characterization and Evaluation of 30 Irish Potato Lines for Yield and Quality in
Zimbabwe – The selected students will be registered with Marondera University of
Agricultural Sciences and Technology.
- Design and execute research experiments to investigate various aspects of Industrial
Hemp and Irish Potato production, including physiology, genetics, breeding,
cultivation techniques, nutrient management, pest and disease control, and postharvest handling.
Page 2 of 2
- Collaborate with fellow researchers, and industry stakeholders to exchange
knowledge, share findings, and contribute to collaborative research projects and
ultimately to NDS1.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES:
Aspiring candidates should possess the following attributes:
- Hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Agriculture, Plant Science, Horticulture, or a
related field OR possess the necessary academic credentials to undertake the
aforementioned studies at the designated institutions.
- Possess strong knowledge and practical experience in agronomy, crop physiology,
genetics, cultivation techniques, and sustainable production practices.
- Demonstrate proficiency in research methodologies, experimental design, statistical
analysis, and data interpretation.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A deep passion for innovation and discovery in the field of agriculture.
- Be 28 years of age or below.
- Display a strong zeal to translate basic research into commercial products and
In return, Kutsaga will pay a competitive stipend and provide resources for the study. All
studies will be supported for a period not exceeding 3.5 years (42 months).
At Kutsaga, we believe in inclusivity and strive to promote equal opportunities
for everyone, regardless of their background or experience. We encourage all
candidates to apply, regardless of their race, gender, or any other personal
characteristic. We will select the best candidate based solely on their
Interested candidates should send their detailed Curriculum Vitae and a concept note of
not more than 7 pages, with the intended area of study clearly marked, to the Human
Resources on: firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight Saturday 07 October 2023.